Re: [Public WebGL] Moving WEBGL_shared_resources to rejected status

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 4:50 AM, Ken Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
The issue is that on OpenGL ES the only guaranteed way to publish changes from one context to another is by calling glFinish, which is prohibitively expensive.

That's the first I've heard about that, I'm not sure that's how it was meant. Regardless, sharing resources would happen between contexts living within one live page. All WebGL contexts there are virtual, even on platforms that do not have a dedicated GPU process. What the actual context can share or not is of no relevance, because you just overlay whatever sharing semantic you want since you all operate within the same actual context.

There are other ways on the web platform to draw to multiple canvases with one WebGL context.

As of yet there are none for WebGL.

Multiple visible canvases can be created with the '2d' rendering context, and an invisible WebGL-rendered canvas drawn to them using CanvasRenderingContext2D.drawImage.

Afaik this would be pretty slow as it'll perform a readback to obtain pixel data to put into the 2D canvas buffer does it not?