[Public WebGL] Is WebGL2 Effectively Dead?

Sorry for the controversial title but....

I just recently tried the latest version of the Safari Technology Preview. I enabled WebGL2 and tried a few very simple (spinning cube level) demos only to be very disappointed they didn't remotely work. Shaders of version 300 es are not supported which is kind of a non-starter.

It's been over a year since Chrome and Firefox shipped WebGL2. Given that Apple now has this public tech preview and given there's effectively no WebGL2 support in it it's made me wonder if Apple has decided to never ship WebGL2 and concentrate only on WebGPU.

Looking at webkit.org there is nearly zero public work happening on WebGL2 in Webkit and the WebGL2RenderingContext code is pretty sparse

https://trac.webkit.org/search?q=WebGL2

https://trac.webkit.org/browser/webkit/trunk/Source/WebCore/html/canvas/WebGL2RenderingContext.cpp

I know that in general Apple doesn't announce what they are going to ship and when but it sure would be nice to at least know if they've decided they will likely never ship WebGL2 on which case devs will know iOS will never support WebGL2 and a large percentage of Safari using Mac users won't get WebGL2 either which would be helpful in making decisions about what to target.

As it is, given the WebGL2 option appeared in the Safari Technology Preview a long time ago it seemed like an indication WebGL2 was going to happen but looking at the current signals it appears Apple is not going to ship WebGL2 ever.