Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL 2.1?

It's not feasible for us to support compute shaders in WebGL on macOS or iOS -- this would require ANGLE to be ported to Metal, since there is no OpenGL version on these operating systems which supports compute shaders. For this reason we're focusing on exposing compute shaders as a WebGL 2.0 extension to be delivered on Windows, Linux, and Android.

The GPU for the Web W3C Community Group is building a new lower-level API which will support compute everywhere, and which will be easier to port than OpenGL ES 3.1.