Re: [Public WebGL] The miserable state of affairs of floating point support

On Mar 24, 2017, at 14:02, Gregg Tavares <khronos@greggman.com> wrote:

this is never going to be fixed for WebGL1 as it would break too much content. The whole issue was WebGL shipped for > year with OES_texture_float and the ability to use them as a framebuffer attachments before Mark Callow pointed out that was wrong and that we needed EXT_color_float_buffer. So it was added but the original method (make floating point texture, attach, check for FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE) was left.

This is missing Florian’s point which, I think, is that if all browsers supported these extensions WebGL 1.0 apps would have an easy way to tell if {half_,}float rendering is supported or not. That browsers may continue to allow float rendering without enabling an extension, does not negate the validity of his point.

Regards

    -Mark