Re: [Public WebGL] async shader compiliation

On Feb 28, 2017, at 1:21, Maksims Mihejevs <max@playcanvas.com> wrote:

 (if they are ubershaders)

Throughout the time I’ve been working with OpenGL ES 2+, ubershaders have generally been regarded as something to avoid. At the dawn of OpenGL ES 2 the concern was whether such shaders could be compiled and would fit in the available memory of the devices of those days. There was also concern about introducing lots of extra tests and branches for every vertex or fragment. The first example of an “ubershader” was a shader to mimic the OpenGL ES 1 fixed-function pipeline. This was abandoned in favor of a set of smaller shaders, chosen and loaded according to the fixed-function state in use. As far as I know this was the model adopted by all IHV’s who provided OpenGL ES 1 support on their OpenGL ES 2 parts.

To avoid doubt, let me state that I am not trying to downplay the importance of async shader compilation.

Regards

    -Mark