Re: [Public WebGL] WebGPU

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Mark Callow <khronos@callow.im> wrote:
Oops. Your question is probably about the influence of WebGPU rather than xml3d isn’t it? I don’t know the answer to that.

Yes, I mean what does WebGPU mean for WebGL 2.1. The blog entry states:

Since then, the standard has evolved to WebGL 2 and, again, all major browser engines, including WebKit, are committed to supporting it.

Which does not say anything about WebGL 2.1, which has compute shaders, and as the article also states:

Apple’s WebKit team today proposed a new Community Group at the W3C to discuss the future of 3D graphics on the Web, and to develop a standard API that exposes modern GPU features including low-level graphics and general purpose computation.

And WebGL 2.1 does introduce an API for general purpose computation. It later goes on to say:

In order to expose a modern, low-level technology that can accelerate graphics and computation, we need to design an API that can be implemented on top of many systems

Which sounds, to me, like Apple does not consider OpenGL ES 3.1 (and therefore WebGL 2.1) as a viable choice for a cross platform API for acceleration of graphics and computation.

It's easy to see how we can get into a sticky situation if some vendor (like google or microsoft) doesn't want to implement WebMetal (would Apple consider implementing WebD3D?), and Apple doesn't want to implement WebGL 2.1.