Re: [Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
We expect that it will roll out quickly to most browsers and operating systems.

I've crunched the numbers on that a bit, and I've found that although a Chrome and Firefox rollout will will bring the UA support to something close to  73%. Around 10% of WebGL1 contexts come with major performance caveats (meaning mostly swiftshader/cpu paths, etc.) and will be unusable, even for WebGL1. Since DX11/GL3 hardware is required for ES 3.0, I've also found that on the steam hardware stats around 15% of devices are not capable of that, incidentally, a bit more than 15% of Steam hardware survey devices are Intel integrated something or other, it's therefore logical to assume that a large chunk of the Intel integrated cards will have trouble with ES 3.0. Unfortunately, on the general web (and not on steam), these comprise around 50% of the hardware seen.

While I don't have concrete numbers for market penetration of various Intel GPUs, Intel has been a strong contributor to the WebGL 2.0 effort, and have done a tremendous amount of work on their graphics drivers on Linux, Windows and macOS to pass the conformance suite. Linux with Intel GPUs is one of the configurations on which Google submitted WebGL 2.0 conformance results.

The Intel HD 4000 (released in 2012) and later GPUs should be able to support WebGL 2.0. I think that this will reach a majority of the users likely to try using WebGL 2.0.

-Ken

Therefore the initial support level you can reasonably expect is likely to be between 30-50%. And this level will remain in place for as long as:
  • PC/Laptop retailers continue selling bottom of the barrel Intel cards
  • Users do not upgrade their bottom of the barrel Intel cards
  • Microsoft and Apple do not Implement WebGL2.
I'd like to be wrong about this, I desperately do, but I think you've got to be realistic.