Re: [Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Maksims Mihejevs <max@playcanvas.com> wrote:
We've seeing already many enormous issues. For example MSAA with ANGLE has CPU path, and is unusable at all, as performance drops insanely. ETC2 was another case where CPU path was pushed a lot.

Are you sure ETC2 is software decoded and put on the GPU plain? Because if so, we've had a lengthy debate in 2016 about ETC1 that ended with Jeff Gilbert stating:

Update: The WG is planning on only exposing the extension where there
is 'native' support. (Not D3D, maybe not Desktop NV?) We feel this
best matches what devs expect when they see support for a compressed
texture extension. Compressed image formats are a better delivery
mechanism than compressed texture formats, if they're going to be
decompressed anyway.