Re: [Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

WebGL 1 will stay very important for very long. If the gap between of webgl1 and webgl2 is large, this just complicates everything. We already seeing this, and it makes engine and app developers life much harder. As they still have to support both for long time to come.

And more importantly, if any implementation is done, it has to be done not using CPU path.
We've seeing already many enormous issues. For example MSAA with ANGLE has CPU path, and is unusable at all, as performance drops insanely. ETC2 was another case where CPU path was pushed a lot. And if this happens, for sake of "best availability support", you then damaging performance and quality so badly, that we even had to disable certain features in webgl2 simply by checking "if ANGLE, then no MSAA".

We need not just feature availability in webgl2, but done with responsibility and performance.

And we need webgl1 to progress. This is extremely important to allow webgl developers to create content that truly works everywhere.

Webgl2 is not a globally adopted replacement of webgl1. It is an enhancement and new features to end developer. But not a replacement by any means.