Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_multiview discussion

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Rafael Cintron <Rafael.Cintron@microsoft.com> wrote:

If the layout qualifier prevents the shader from working in WebGL 1.0, I think we should drop the qualifier requirement.  This will allow the shader to be used in more places and remove the additional overhead/complexity of rationalizing the number of views in the qualifier with the state of the world on the API side.

You'd effectively default to a layout of 2 views. I think that could be a mistake. It's widely recognized that a wide FOV is more immersive. At the same time very wide FOVs will require more than 2 views to be rendered to avoid excessive distortion (due to perspective projection that pinches everything in the center and blows it up towards the edges). There's at least some HMDs that come with 4 panels, and other wide FOV HMDs might use a 4-split projection to get around distortion issues.