Re: [Public WebGL] Support precompiled shaders as extensions

I wouldn't rule out the chance that it might be possible to do some good old regular code optimizations on the shader translation+compilation backend in ANGLE to improve compilation times, even by an order of magnitude. Edge doesn't use ANGLE, and their shader compilation performance is currently somewhat faster than in Firefox or Chrome, which do use ANGLE. That is one data point to suggest that there might be some lazy cycles that could be squeezed out from ANGLE (btw, if some Microsoft folks are following, if you visit the PlatformerGame URL I posted above, that's a good target to crunch some Edge bugs against. Try opening the web console while the page is running)

Optimizing cold loads, paired with an efficient implicit or explicit scheme to support caching of compiled shaders to make warm loads smooth as well would resolve the issue at least for our use.

I've made a chart to illustrate the problem.
Inline image 1