Re: [Public WebGL] Support precompiled shaders as extensions

What it all comes down to is this: we do not have any viable option offered by GPU/driver makers or standard bodies to address:
  1. Shader compile time (no bytecode is an option without strong vendor support)
  2. Shader modularity (separate shader objects are not flexible enough, shader subroutines aren't available enough)
  3. Asynchronous shader compilation (parallel shader compile and completion query isn't ES supported)
Without the support of GPU/driver makers, Khronos (ES/GL) and Microsoft (D3D) to come up with a cohesive and comprehensive solution to these 3 key issues, nothing is going to happen. However most of these folks are currently focused on Vulkan, which solves all these problems (though its availability might not be great for some years to come).

The fact is that WebGL is based upon a legacy standard that's reached the end of its life, and we cannot expect grand sweeping changes to solve fundamental problems to occur. What we have today in ES/GL, is about all we're ever gonna have, and if that isn't solving it, then WebGL simply won't get it solved, at all.