I assume it does it when you remove canvas element from DOM and GC all related to context data. Making sure it is not referenced anywhere in JS.

Cheers,
Max

On 8 Nov 2016 5:22 p.m., <omarhuseynov97@gmail.com> wrote:

Well it’s a dirty trick for sure, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone :)

-          Omar

From: Justin Novosad
Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2016 6:58 PM
To: omarhuseynov97@gmail.com
Cc: Jukka Jylänki; public_webgl@khronos.org

Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_lose_context

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM, <omarhuseynov97@gmail.com> wrote:

I’ve added WebGL context to the iframe element and then found out that refreshing that iframe page resulted in significant memory decrease in Chrome as I watched it using dev tools (garbage collection kicking in?). As far as I know, this is the only way of “deleting” WebGL context on Chrome (but I am still not sure as I’m not aware of what Chrome is actually doing)

Hmmm... you need to determine whether that trick relies on specified behaviors.  Otherwise, this may very well be a trick that works today but not tomorrow.  Anyone here an iframe expert?

-          Omar