Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Kirill Dmitrenko <dmikis@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
It may be logical, but, as far as I know, not entirely true (unfortunately). Here's huge discussion on the matter: https://www.khronos.org/webgl/public-mailing-list/archives/1009/msg00000.php. I've understood from the thread that browsers interpret images differently (e.g., some ignore colour profile from image file and some don't). Also there is no guarantees that gamma-corrected WebGL buffer will be absolutely correctly composed to a page.
That's mostly about upload to textures, which isn't related at all to the output. Images may come in a variety of colorspaces (but they mostly come in Adobe sRGB). They may also contain information which colorspace that is, or they may not. Image editing programs may use those colorspace for de/encoding, or they may not. etc. You should be able to avoid that the browser does any colorspace conversion with those flags when you upload to textures. But that's only because image parsing libraries do usually have metadata parsing to find out what colorspace is claimed by the image, and conversion code to read it out. Anyways, not related in any way to lookup (texture2D) or storage on GPU (gl_FragColor).