Re: [Public WebGL] Systemic WebGL extension issue on new mobiles?

As I said support can be added at least by emulating the luminance/alpha formats, and I think everyone agrees that some solution is needed here. I don't think I'm the right person to work on this though, since the issue is not affecting NVIDIA devices.

-Olli

From: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:06 AM
To: Olli Etuaho
Cc: Kenneth Russell; Daniel Koch; public webgl
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Systemic WebGL extension issue on new mobiles?

So the solution is? WebGL gets worse on newer device, fact of life?

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Olli Etuaho <oetuaho@nvidia.com> wrote:

The root of the issue is that GLES3 doesn't support every format that OES_texture_float supports, mainly the luminance/alpha float formats. Because of this Chromium is correctly not exposing WebGL OES_texture_float on these devices. The proper fix would be having driver support for the extensions, as on Tegra. But since driver support is probably not coming, Chromium would have to add emulation of these formats on top of the GLES3 formats to support the WebGL extensions.

In a way changing the WebGL OES_texture_float spec to not to require these legacy formats that almost nobody uses would also be nice, but the spec has already beed ratified for a long time.

-Olli