Re: [Public WebGL] appropriate context loss response

On 11 Nov 2015, at 9:27 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, but what I mean is, how do you know it's a bug and not a feature? Afaik it's not specified that this isn't an appropriate response to a context loss...

Yeah, I get that's what you're trying to clarify.

I do think it should (must?) be "acceptable" to kill the process/page completely if necessary. Obviously detecting that the context is broken and firing a context lost event is the preferred option, but I don't think we can require all implementations to always recover gracefully.

Dean

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2015, at 3:43 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've noticed that on iOS if there's a context loss (due to memory overstep or whatever), no context loss event is issued and instead the browser auto-reloads the page which leads to another context loss.

This could be because we detected a GPU issue from which we could not recover gracefully, so we killed the process (which caused the page to be reloaded). Another way to say that is that this behaviour is a bug in iOS that we'll try to fix.

Dean