Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal: Ignore UNPACK_FLIP_Y and UNPACK_PREMULTIPLY_ALPHA for ArrayBufferViews in WebGL 2

On 5 November 2015 at 13:50, Helmut Emmelmann <emmel@taccgl.org> wrote:
>   Lastly, these are slow paths, and as such are performance foot-guns,
>   even if we can (and do) warn when users use this functionality.
On the other hand performance of texImage2D is very important,
since it sometimes on slow devices and a large canvas takes longer than a frame and so causes dropped frames.

This can be mitigated by uploading in chunks with texSubImage2D, possibly scheduled with something like requestIdleCallback. This only spreads out the call across frames, and doesn't really make it async (which would be great to have). I'm not sure if this impacts the question of supporting these unpack options though, it sounds like it's harder for implementers to support the sub-rectangle cases.