Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal: Ignore UNPACK_FLIP_Y and UNPACK_PREMULTIPLY_ALPHA for ArrayBufferViews in WebGL 2

Also the taccgl.org library relies on the PREMULTIPLY_ALPHA
option to animate certain HTML elements by drawing them on a 2D canvas and using that as parameter for texImage2D with the UNPACK_PREMULTIPLY_ALPHA option.

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Jeff Gilbert jgilbert@mozilla.com
> <mailto:jgilbert@mozilla.com>> wrote:
> FLIP_Y and PREMULTIPLY_ALPHA for ArrayBufferViews do not provide new
> functionality to users, since ...
I am not sure if you just refer to the ArrayBufferViews versions of tex(Sub)Image2D or to the canvas and image versions as well.
If its only the ArrayBufferViews versions it would not affect taccgl but still Ashley Gullen's first argument about canvas2d's getImageData() remains.

> Lastly, these are slow paths, and as such are performance foot-guns,
> even if we can (and do) warn when users use this functionality.
On the other hand performance of texImage2D is very important,
since it sometimes on slow devices and a large canvas takes longer than a frame and so causes dropped frames.

Helmut Emmelmann

H.E.I. Informationssystems GmbH   |  Wimpfenerstraße 23 | 68259 Mannheim
Germany | Ph:+49 621-795141 | Fax: +49 621-795161 | mailto:info@h-e-i.de
Geschäftsführer: Dr.Helmut Emmelmann, StNr.37001/32880,UstId DE185233091
            Handelsregister: HRB 7273 | Amtsgericht Mannheim
              http://www.h-e-i.de | http://www.taccgl.org