Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL/ESSL version strings

On Oct 19, 2015, at 9:11 AM, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com> wrote:

Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge report these <1.0 version strings; the goal here was to enable feature support detection* as we update the renderer several times year.

The goal has always been to use ‘1.0’ as soon as we had a fully conformant implementation, and to update devices so that we get to ‘1.0’ everywhere; we’ve received feedback from developers that they find the 0.01 increments useful.

That said, if it is more useful to change to ‘1.0’ at this point, we could do that.

*only for cases where no other feature support detection mechanism could be used.

I think non-conformant implementations should provide only an “experimental-webgl” context not a “webgl” context. I can’t recall if we formally decided this, I think we did, and I do not know which is provided by IE and Edge at present.

gl.VENDOR could be used to provide feature detection for “experimental-webgl” contexts. I think gl.VERSION should be reserved for the official API version number, even if the implementation is not yet fully conformant to that version.