Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL/ESSL version strings

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 4:02 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
WebGL implementations report back the VERSION and SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION getParameter strings.

VERSION

It's my understanding there are only two valid values for the parameter VERSION: WebGL 1.0 and WebGL 2.0 at the time of this writing (afaik minor spec revision versions aren't reported). However, these are versions that are reported in the wild:
  • WebGL 0.9
  • WebGL 0.91
  • WebGL 0.92
  • WebGL 0.93
  • WebGL 0.94
  • WebGL 0.95
  • WebGL 1.0
SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION

It's my Understanding that there are only two valid values for the parameter SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 and WebGL GLSL ES 2.0. However, these are values observed in the wild:
  • WebGL GLSL ES 0.9
  • WebGL GLSL ES 0.91
  • WebGL GLSL ES 0.92
  • WebGL GLSL ES 0.93
  • WebGL GLSL ES 0.94
  • WebGL GLSL ES 0.95
  • WebGL GLSL ES 1.0
Request for clarification

I would like to inquire off the Khronos WebGL WG the following questions for clarification:
  • Is it correct that the only two valid versions to report here are 1.0 and 2.0?
Yes.
  • If so (or not) should there be language in the specifications to clarify this?
There's no need. The specification already says this.
  • Is it correct that official members to the Khronos WebGL WG are required to adhere to the standards set forth by the group and should not willfully deviate from the standard?
Yes.

I don't know which implementations are reporting these strings but they're not conformant.

-Ken