[Public WebGL] WebGL/ESSL version strings

WebGL implementations report back the VERSION and SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION getParameter strings.

VERSION

It's my understanding there are only two valid values for the parameter VERSION: WebGL 1.0 and WebGL 2.0 at the time of this writing (afaik minor spec revision versions aren't reported). However, these are versions that are reported in the wild:
SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION

It's my Understanding that there are only two valid values for the parameter SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 and WebGL GLSL ES 2.0. However, these are values observed in the wild:
Request for clarification

I would like to inquire off the Khronos WebGL WG the following questions for clarification: