Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal for the WEBGL_debug extension

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 07:48:36PM +0200, Florian Bösch wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Emmanuel Gil Peyrot <
> emmanuel.peyrot@collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The main reason I started working on this extension was integration
> > with existing GLES debugging tools, namely apitrace in my case.
> >
> Is it a correct statement to say that apitrace relies on KHR_debug to
> identify the stream of commands of interest to the programmer (because
> there's a lot of commands being executed by a browser), and therefore
> allows you to inspect just the commands your WebGL context emitted?

No, since it runs externally to the browser, apitrace (or any such
tool) doesn’t have any information about which GL calls are emitted by
the WebGL application and which are emitted by the browser.  It does
have the information about the source of debug messages though, which
can let you insert debug messages from the browser, application, or its
libraries.

What you can do with KHR_debug that you can’t do without though is
grouping relevant calls together, ignore errors, warnings or
notifications you don’t care about, name your objects so they are more
easily spottable, etc.

It could make sense to add WebGL support to apitrace, so it could debug
JS calls instead of C calls, using traces that browsers or tools like
webgl-debug.js would create, but this hasn’t been done yet.

> Since you have experience in this field, could you comment on how vogl fits
> into that picture? Is KHR/WebGL_debug something that could interoperate
> with it?

I haven’t tried it yet, but VOGL targets mostly the same workflow as
apitrace, and according to their change notes[0] they already support
KHR_debug since 2014-03-21.

[0] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/vogl/wiki/Change-Notes

--
Emmanuel Gil Peyrot