RE: [Public WebGL] Can the browser tell the user why webGL has failed to start?

Andre, when running in IE or Edge, context creation should never fail unless you pass failIfMajorPerformanceCaveat as a context attribute and the browser intends to give you a software rendering context.  If you find that is not the case, let me know and I will get to the bottom of it.

From: owners-public_webgl@khronos.org [mailto:owners-public_webgl@khronos.org] On Behalf Of Ashley Gullen
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 6:48 AM
To: Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>
Cc: Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com>; Gilbert, Jeff <jgilbert@mozilla.com>; andre v <starplant@gmail.com>; public_webgl@khronos.org
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Can the browser tell the user why webGL has failed to start?

One extra tip is if you are passing failIfMajorPerformanceCaveat: true to the context attributes and you fail to get a context, but you can with it set to 'false', that indicates the WebGL context has a "major performance caveat", which can mean a software-rendered context or some other significant performance implication. The software-rendered context may be used instead of hardware due to GPU blacklisting, so it may be worth notifying the user of this case, even though you did get a WebGL context.

Ashley