Re: [Public WebGL] ARB_texture_storage for WebGL

The texStorage family of calls are introduced by these extensions:
They become core functionality in OpenGL ES 3.0 (and hence WebGL 2.0)

The reason these calls don't exist in WebGL 1 is because they are not core functionality in OpenGL ES 2.0, and because so far nobody asked for them or wrote an extension specification for them.

You could draft a WebGL extension specification to mirror EXT_texture_storage so that these calls could be implemented for WebGL 1.0. However UA maintainers have often cited resource shortage as a reason to strike down extension implementation, instead rather focusing on WebGL 2.0. I personally don't believe that to be a good argument against some functionality. If the problem is resource shortage, the solution isn't doing less, it's to acquire more resources.