Re: [Public WebGL] IE extension tickets

Paraphrasing wrongly I'm sure:

As detailed in Jacob Rossi’s article for Smashing Magazine, the new engine began as a fork of MSHTML.dll but has since diverged very quickly. By making this split, we were able to keep the major subsystem investments made over the last several years, while allowing us to remove document modes and other legacy IE behaviors from the new engine. On the other hand, our legacy engine (MSHTML.dll) can remain largely unchanged (outside of security and other high priority fixes) to help guarantee legacy compatibility for our enterprise customers

For users that upgrade to Windows 10, the engine will be evergreen, meaning that it will be kept current

Though it also sounds like IE11's backwards comparability has and is being improved to help customers with apps that depend on IE5 - IE10 work better when using IE11 in Windows 10 and both IE11 and Edge ship with Windows 10 - though Edge is the default and IE11 is hidden away; was what I took away from the "Microsoft Edge and IE11 for IT Professionals" talk at the Microsoft Edge Web Summit 2015:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/WebPlatformSummit/2015/Microsoft-Edge-and-IE11-for-IT-Professionals

And consumers on Win7, Win8, Win8.1 get free upgrade to Win10. Don't have any special knowledge; or speak for MS; just what I've seen publicly - so I may understand it totally wrong...