Re: [Public WebGL] shader compilation hangs/crashes

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
These aren't shader compilation hangs/crashes, though; bug 1163502 is crashing in DrawArrays() inside the GL driver, and bug 1154688 is crashing somewhere in nvidia-land, not clear from where (that one might be a compilation issue, will need actual debugging to figure out where).

So we need to identify what situation is causing the crashes and avoid it on these particular drivers (assuming it's not a general issue).  If they were pure compilation crashes, we could do something like do a trial compilation run in a separate process and make sure it doesn't crash; but that's not the case unfortunately.
That's why I called for massive testing of shaders, which are fortunately found aplenty on shadertoy and glslsandbox. There really isn't a good reason to have unidentified/unhandled/unworked-around driver bugs manifest itself when the browser exercises the driver when there's test material easily available.