Re: [Public WebGL] extension registry markup/split for webgl 1, 2 or both

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:30 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ticket: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/issues/917
>
> It's currently the case that some purely WebGL 1 related extensions are
> exposed on WebGL 2 contexts which shouldn't be (because they're WebGL 2
> core). It's also the case that it's not clear in the extension registry
> overview, which extensions are WebGL 1, 2 or both.
>
> The extension definitions have the ability to mark up against which
> specification they're written, and they can also specify in which version
> they become core (example quoted from EXT_frag_depth below)
>
> <depends>
>   <api version="1.0"/>
>   <core version="2.0">
>     <glsl version="300 es"/>
>   </core>
> </depends>
>
> Would it make sense to mark up/divide the extension in the overview in some
> fashion?

I think that this will make the extension registry more complicated to
navigate. It will add three new sections: extensions applying to WebGL
1.0, 2.0, and both. It also won't scale well to future releases. Since
the intent is to have fewer rather than more extensions, I think the
current extension registry organization is reasonable.