Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal for WEBGL_render_to_float

Regarding modifications to the existing EXT_color_buffer_half_float
[1], WEBGL_color_buffer_float [2] and EXT_color_buffer_float
extensions [3]:

The WebGL WG is still investigating the root of the text in the GLES
extension [4] forbidding blending of FP32 color buffers, and which
OpenGL ES 3.0 hardware may actually support this. I think losing the
ability to blend FP32 color buffers would be a significant regression
in functionality, and adding a getInteger query to [2] and [3] sounds
like a reasonable way to advertise this capability. There are
definitely too many extensions around floating-point textures right
now and I'd like to avoid adding yet another one just for controlling
FP32 blending.

Regarding Jeff's WEBGL_render_to_float proposal [5], the working group
is in agreement that it's too restrictive and that we'll collectively
work on moving extensions [1], [2] and [3] instead.

-Ken

[1] https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/EXT_color_buffer_half_float/
[2] https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/WEBGL_color_buffer_float/
[3] https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/EXT_color_buffer_float/