Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal to move WEBGL_compressed_texture_es3 to Draft

On Feb 22, 2015, at 4:00 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

Wildfire games records every extension it sees. If it had encountered it, it'd be there. I don't have any machine on which ASTC extensions show up.

Ahh! I was misled by the fairly large number of extensions with 0% support. They are actually 0% after rounding.

According to https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3169-astc-new-midrange-arm-mali-t720-gpu.html ASTC is supported by the ARM Mali-T720, Tegra K1, PowerVR Series6XT and Adreno 420. The source of the information is not described. All these companies have announced that they will support ASTC and, as a cross-platform solution, it is very likely to quickly build momentum. Therefore it seems a good idea to prepare a WebGL extension spec. now rather than waiting until ASTC is already in a large number of end-user devices.

Regards

    -Mark