Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal for WEBGL_render_to_float

Clear() is faster than doing a rasterization pass, and is effectively free on many drivers. (basically all tilers) If Clear() weren't cheaper, the driver would implement it as a rendering pass.

In practice, I don't think we need a huge list of these extensions. I'm just trying to get us to a sane point regarding what people believe is implementable for rendering-to-float as historically implied by OES_texture_[half_]float.

Firefox is going to expose both color_buffer extensions on many drivers, but notably we cannot support these on D3D9.