Re: [Public WebGL] Proposal to move WEBGL_compressed_texture_es3 to Draft

It would be great to expose the ASTC compressed texture format to
WebGL. It seems it's the most likely compressed texture format to be
supported universally across devices.

In order to define a WebGL extension for it, some amount of validation
of the incoming data has to be performed -- in particular, structural
validation of the input data, to ensure the incoming data is the
correct size.

The following extensions:

  https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/WEBGL_compressed_texture_atc/
  https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1/
  https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/WEBGL_compressed_texture_pvrtc/
  https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc/

define the required size of the input data based on its format.

It seems more difficult to do so for ASTC, based on scanning through
https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/KHR/texture_compression_astc_hdr.txt
. Christophe, would you be able to help define the needed language for
the WebGL extension?

Do ASTC conformance tests already exist -- both positive and negative
tests -- which could be adapted for WebGL?

Thanks,

-Ken