Re: [Public WebGL] RE: extension development process

That doesn't address the issue I see. Without a way for a vendor to expose nonstandard extensions to the public, they're required to submit it to proposal, get it to draft and push it trough to community approved before they can expose it to the public. In turn this means that any single vendor can demand that their extension is elevated practically straight to community approved without consensus at the proposal stage, without alternative implementations at the draft stage and without community approval at the community approved stage.

Effectively your suggestion amounts to that proposal, draft and community approved are "standards exempt". I do think that proposal, draft and community approved are standards track states.