[Public WebGL] Re: rejecting WEBGL_color_buffer_float and EXT_color_buffer_half_float

On 7 Feb 2015, at 6:35 am, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:

The WG should not categorically reject extensions which it is merely unwilling to ratify. If it's community approved, I fail to see why it needs to either be ratified or rejected.

Ignoring the specifics of these particular extensions, I think it is a bad idea to have extensions that only a subset of vendors implement. Actually, I think extensions are a bad idea in general, but at least ratification is a suggestion that all vendors should implement the feature. If we know in advance that a feature won't be implemented by everyone, as long as there are valid reasons, it shouldn't be on Khronos.org - it should be in the vendor's developer docs.

Dean