Re: [Public WebGL] Re: extensions status

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
We expose both of these, where supported. We even expose WEBGL_color_buffer_float on ANGLE presently.

We have not withdrawn our implementation, and I am curious how this idea came about.

If you consult http://webglstats.com/ you will see that starting May 2014 both WEBGL_color_buffer_float and EXT_color_buffer_half_float started to pick up support to a peak of 2.2% in August 2014 and then dropped off again to 0.3% in November 2014. Filtering out just for firefox the peak is 12% and then a dropoff to 2%. This kind of pattern isn't usually associated with an enabled extension that's being shipped. It's therefore logical to assume you've withdrawn your implementation.

Going over the yesterdays data of 343'000 page views with webgl active, these are the counts of extensions I'm seeing:

9 GLI_frame_terminator
38 EXT_draw_buffers
66 MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_pvrtc
95 WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_textures
119 WEBGL_EXT_lose_context
131 WEBGL_compressed_texture_pvrtc
237 MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_atc
264 MOZ_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
1249 EXT_color_buffer_half_float
2066 WEBGL_color_buffer_float
2637 WEBKIT_lose_context
5569 WEBGL_compressed_texture_atc
6352 WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_atc
15393 WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1
16172 WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_pvrtc
39581 MOZ_WEBGL_depth_texture
44609 MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
45359 MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context
137482 EXT_sRGB
140207 WEBGL_draw_buffers
210612 WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
219723 WEBKIT_WEBGL_depth_texture
227804 WEBGL_debug_shaders
231276 EXT_frag_depth
232536 WEBKIT_WEBGL_lose_context
237269 EXT_blend_minmax
242892 EXT_shader_texture_lod
252007 WEBKIT_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
261836 WEBGL_debug_renderer_info
278454 WEBGL_depth_texture
285853 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
289406 OES_texture_half_float_linear
292821 OES_texture_half_float
296296 OES_texture_float_linear
297705 EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
298624 ANGLE_instanced_arrays
303222 OES_vertex_array_object
308638 WEBGL_lose_context
331996 OES_element_index_uint
333089 OES_texture_float
337132 OES_standard_derivatives

The reasons for rejecting these extensions has been laid out in the other thread, please move the discussion on these specific extensions over there and register your objection if you'd like to object to a rejection.