[Public WebGL] Re: retrograde webgl support levels

Progress on webgl support is flagging on windows. Late 2014 and early 2015 where good times for WebGL overall, reaching new all time highs with currently 86.1%. This is largely thanks to rapidly advancing support in the past months by Internet Explorer, iOS and OSX safari. Even traditional sorrow spots like Android Tablets are showing promising signs to recovery. Inside that progress however the picture is more mixed, windows in particular has a problem across all browser vendors.

On Windows the situation presents itself as follows:
I can only speculate as to the reasons of these developments, but I suspect it would be a combination of these factors:
  • Internet Explorer is still struggling to expediently replace older versions. Although that situation has improved, the peak to peak distance of IE versions is: 7->8 = 28 months, 8->9  = 18 months, 9->10 = 10 months, 10 -> 11 = 14 months, and so this does contribute to the flagging advance in WebGL support by Internet Explorer.
  • Driver/Hardware issues are preventing support from closing the remaining gap as well.
At current rates (which might not be indicative to future activation rates), support on Windows for WebGL will not advance beyond 90% in a meaningful way for a very long time. As is usual, the last mile is usually the hardest, and so I'd encourage everyone to look into ways to close that last 10% gap.