Re: [Public WebGL] Re: extensions status

> On Jan 27, 2015, at 7:57 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> WEBGL_compressed_texture_es3: is this specification finalized? The last modification to it was recently.
>
> EXT_color_buffer_half_float and WEBGL_color_buffer_float: These are a bit confusing, first there where implementations by Mozilla, which have now been withdrawn, and EXT_color_buffer_float seems to cover pretty much what they would cover. What's the status of these extensions really?

EXT_color_buffer_float is based on the OpenGL ES 3.[01] specifications and depends on language in those specifications.
There are things unsupported by ES 2/WebGL 1. For example creation of floating point textures with sized internalformats and rendering to them. It would in theory be possible to add interactions with ES 2 to this specification but the result would largely be copying the text of the the WebGL 1 extensions into this extension. Since it appears that the WebGL 1 extensions are not being implemented, this seems a pointless effort that would only clutter the WebGL 2 extension.

I do not know if or why Mozilla has withdrawn the WebGL 1 extensions as I have not seen anything from them on this topic since their request (& pull request) to move them to community approved in November.

Regards

    -Mark