Re: [Public WebGL] extensions status

On a related note with PS4, XboxOne, Stream and now Win10 providing video capture and upload for the likes of Twitch, YouTube, etc

I was wondering if there was any mileage in extending getUserMedia in some form to provide browser element capture; whether just canvas or documentElement or window for a video stream to save or broadcast (with same request popup semantics)

There is already a js library that kinda does this in chrome by Creating a WebM movie via dataUrl ( https://github.com/spite/ccapture.js ) but its very slow, and has poor compression; essentially is a form of Motion WebP and base64 encoding each frame isn't really a fast path.

On 27 January 2015 at 01:19, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:04 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Olli Etuaho <oetuaho@nvidia.com> wrote:

>> WEBGL_security_sensitive_resources - This is a very ambitious extension.
>> While the functionality is desirable, it's hard to implement and could hurt
>> performance in a major way in some cases. For example delta color
>> compression in NVIDIA GPUs would likely have to be disabled due to the
>> timing requirements. So I don't honestly see this being worth the effort,
>> though maybe others disagree.
>
> Proposing to reject this extension, any objections?
> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/824

Yes, I would like to continue to work on this extension. There is high
demand for some way to upload cross-origin data into WebGL textures,
and this proposal is the closest to something workable. Note that the
required analysis has already been implemented in ANGLE's shader
translator.

-Ken