Re: [Public WebGL] extensions status

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>> WEBGL_security_sensitive_resources - This is a very ambitious extension.
>> While the functionality is desirable, it's hard to implement and could hurt
>> performance in a major way in some cases. For example delta color
>> compression in NVIDIA GPUs would likely have to be disabled due to the
>> timing requirements. So I don't honestly see this being worth the effort,
>> though maybe others disagree.
>
> Proposing to reject this extension, any objections?
> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/824

Yes, I would like to continue to work on this extension. There is high
demand for some way to upload cross-origin data into WebGL textures,
and this proposal is the closest to something workable. Note that the
required analysis has already been implemented in ANGLE's shader
translator.
Alright, so to summarize, work is being done on getting this extension implemented and it covers functionality that we'll want, and it's the best shot to get it.