Re: [Public WebGL] OES_depth24

That's an aspect that packed depth stencil mainly addresses, it's perhaps unfortunate this has been somewhat bundled together with depth textures in WebGL.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Daniel Koch <dkoch@nvidia.com> wrote:
I would expect depth24 is going to be the same as packed depth stencil on many platforms, the driver just hides the 8 unused stencil bits.

-Daniel

On 2015-01-26 11:26 PM, "Florian Bösch" <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
The https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/WEBGL_depth_texture/
extension already allows applications to allocate framebuffer objects
with a depth-texture attachment having 24 bits of precision. How
urgent is it to support renderbuffers with the analogous format?
I don't think it's a high priority, it's just a thing that should've been done alongside introducing depth textures to plug the gap (note that the depth texture only supports 24-bit depths when going along with an interleaved stencil buffer, it covers part of packed depth stencil, but not the part that allows to allocate a pure depth texture. depth24 doesn't cover stencil buffers, but it does offer a way to attach a pure depth only texture. Due to interleaving of depth/stencil on many implementations, using a depth/stencil texture might have performance penalties vs. using a depth_component24).