Re: [Public WebGL] extensions status

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:04 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Olli Etuaho <oetuaho@nvidia.com> wrote:
>>
>> WEBGL_draw_elements_no_range_check - dropped as an extension. This
>> functionality would be better to implement just as a part of WebGL 2 at this
>> point, if it is decided that the tradeoffs offered here are good.
>
> Although I'm sad to see it go, I'm proposing to reject this extension, any
> objections? https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/822

Some specification edits are coming in this area which affect this
pull request. I'll send a separate email.

>> WEBGL_security_sensitive_resources - This is a very ambitious extension.
>> While the functionality is desirable, it's hard to implement and could hurt
>> performance in a major way in some cases. For example delta color
>> compression in NVIDIA GPUs would likely have to be disabled due to the
>> timing requirements. So I don't honestly see this being worth the effort,
>> though maybe others disagree.
>
> Proposing to reject this extension, any objections?
> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/824

Yes, I would like to continue to work on this extension. There is high
demand for some way to upload cross-origin data into WebGL textures,
and this proposal is the closest to something workable. Note that the
required analysis has already been implemented in ANGLE's shader
translator.