Re: [Public WebGL] extensions status

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Mark Callow <khronos@callow.im> wrote:
WEBGL_dynamic_texture (proposal)
  • Is this specification finalized?
  • If so, is there intent to implement it?
  • If so, should it be moved to draft?
I have an action item to remove some of the synchronisation stuff that browser vendors say will be difficult to implement. However I put that on hold several months ago because Mozilla said they were experimenting with the extension and we wanted to wait for the lessons from that experiment. I do not know the current status.

Something like this is needed for efficient, copy-free, video textures which is especially important on power-constrained devices. I would like to leave this in proposals for a while longer.
That's fine. It is quite complex, could this be broken out into some simpler parts? Effectively the video isn't in user-space from a JS programmers point of view. All anybody wants to do is say "this <video> goes into this TEXTURE_2D, make it so). And usually it's expected that you can read RGB (and not YUV or whatever) from that. Can't the browser take care of timing and see to it everything gets correctly converted so it's ready whenever the draw call is emitted with that sampler bound?