Re: [Public WebGL] extensions status

On Jan 14, 2015, at 12:42 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

I've gone over the implementation status of extensions and would like to comment on some cases.

EXT_color_buffer_half_float and WEBGL_color_buffer_float which are in community approved status have dropped off the map (implementations have vanished). This is sort of a problem and I'd like to know if:
  • Is there any intent to implement those?
  • If not, should (can) it be dropped from the registry?

They were just moved to community approved in November at Mozilla’s request because they were implementing them. I don’t know the current status of those implementations. Mozilla?

Even if not exposed by an implementation, these extension documents guide what the browser *should* be doing when allowing float or half-float rendering after OES_texture_{half_,}float is enabled by the application.

EXT_color_buffer_float (draft) hasn't been implemented.
  • Is there intent to implement it?
  • If not, should we drop it from the registry?

Yes there is intent. This is a WebGL 2.0 extension, equivalent to the above 2 1.0 extensions. I expect every implementation will support it. Without it there is no way to do float rendering in WebGL 2.0.

WEBGL_dynamic_texture (proposal)
  • Is this specification finalized?
  • If so, is there intent to implement it?
  • If so, should it be moved to draft?
I have an action item to remove some of the synchronisation stuff that browser vendors say will be difficult to implement. However I put that on hold several months ago because Mozilla said they were experimenting with the extension and we wanted to wait for the lessons from that experiment. I do not know the current status.

Something like this is needed for efficient, copy-free, video textures which is especially important on power-constrained devices. I would like to leave this in proposals for a while longer.

Regards

    -Mark