Re: [Public WebGL] getShaderInfoLog/getProgramInfoLog format specification

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
gl.getShaderSource()
That doesn't help you to locate the line-number and file-number in the error message so you can map it to one of your source lines and source files.

gl.getShaderSource() + JS helpers. Would it be nicer if this were fully-automated? Yes.
Ding-ding-ding.

I don't think it's critical to fix right now though.
Who said it was? I'd like to see this fixed eventually, and I do think the pain of this point is going to increase in the future, so the longer you defer solving that problem, the more often this debate will come up.

If errors aren't specified, I really really don't want to commit to a universal error format right now, given finite resources.

It's a nice thought, but it's too low in terms of ROI compared to other things we're working on right now. It takes time just to standardize things, not to mention the long tail of driver-specific log parsers this might eventually entail.

Phrased as an optional extension, it's more viable. We could simply choose to stop offering it if we need to change something, or are on a configuration where we don't generate errors ourselves.

However, the more time we spend on this low-ROI work item now, the longer WebGL 2 is going to take.
I told you that I don't want to hear this "argument" ever again. I told you this for a specific reason, maybe I haven't made that reason perfectly clear, so let me help you there.

There isn't a scenario in which I'm the intended recipient of an "argument"/message that says "We don't have time for it right now, and it would delay other things." Such a scenario doesn't exist because:
So you see how in no possible scenario is this an "argument" that you'll want to write to me right?