Re: [Public WebGL] getShaderInfoLog/getProgramInfoLog format specification

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Gregg Tavares <khronos@greggman.com> wrote:
They do? I thought VC++, g++, clang  and every other C++ compiler generate different errors in different formats. There's no spec for the errors nor is there a spec for the error format (or was it added?). I thought all there is is a language spec that says what must compile and what must fail. Exactly the same situation for GLSL.

There's 3 major differences to WebGL which makes the debate about a standard format matter:
  • WebGL doesn't have a format, not even for one vendor. Sure, there's an informal "standard", which works most of the time, except when it doesn't, but even the vendors who use have zero commitment to keep it that way.
  • VC++, g++, clang etc. don't have an API standard. They have a language standard, but not an API standard. WebGL has an API standard.
  • WebGL being on the Web (that's the Web part, in case you didn't notice), is exposed to the need to do things in a cross vendor compatible fashion a lot more than it's cruically important that say your Suse C++ IDE also supports VC++'es error format.