Re: [Public WebGL] getShaderInfoLog/getProgramInfoLog format specification

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
To make it clear how silly this debate is. Substitue GLSL for say, gcc, llvm, python, lua, Java, gdb or any other even moderatly popular system of programming/compiling/debugging things. All of the former (and most of the ones implied) have a structured way to communicate errors so they're fit for machine consumption.

They do? I thought VC++, g++, clang  and every other C++ compiler generate different errors in different formats. There's no spec for the errors nor is there a spec for the error format (or was it added?). I thought all there is is a language spec that says what must compile and what must fail. Exactly the same situation for GLSL.

The only place I've seen the untenable position of not having a structured way to do it being discussed in earnest, is here and in ES-discuss (on JS stack traces). I cannot believe it honestly. You understand how this is a mystery to me right?