Re: [Public WebGL] Re: texture_float should imply color_buffer_float

GLES3 supports RGB32F, but it's not color-renderable. EXT_color_buffer_float does not changes this, though it makes R32F, RG32F, and RGBA32F color-renderable. RGB32F is still sampleable as a texture format.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Mark Callow <khronos@callow.im> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2014, at 6:17 AM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> The goal of WEBGL_color_buffer_float is to deviate from EXT_color_buffer_float such that we can readily implement it in WebGL1, particularly on D3D11, ES2, and ideally D3D9.

Actually, the goal was to expose much requested desktop floating-point rendering functionality for WebGL 1.0. EXT_color_buffer_float (both the OES and WebGL versions) came later. If EXT_color_buffer_float can’t be implemented on D3D11, as implied by the above comment, we have a problem...

Olli raises a good point about RGB32F support. I agree with removing that support from WEBGL_color_buffer_float. When I wrote this extension, I was not aware that OpenGL ES 3 h/w would not have support for RGB32F.

Regards

    -Mark