Re: [Public WebGL] gamma/color profile and sRGB

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
How would an API like this work in the browser? The browser's window
can be dragged from screen to screen, changing the answer this API
returns.
You could have a canvas.addEventListener('gammaRamp', function(ramp){...}) which triggers whenever the majority of the canvas finds itself on a different display.

The browser is supposed to transform colors specified in the sRGB
color space ( http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/ ) to the display's
color profile. In practice, only Safari and IE handle this correctly
today, and they rely on the OS's colorspace support to do so. There's
an ongoing effort in Chrome to handle multiple displays' color
profiles correctly, and to do so on all operating systems. Not sure
about work in this area in Firefox.
There's two things to do actually.
  1. Make sure that no color space conversion is applied if the WebGL context returns plain values. This would make roll-your-own colorspace handling easier.
  2. Make sure that the correct color space conversion is applied if the WebGL context does return in sRGB (for which we're currently lacking any mechanism)
For WebGL 2.0 I think a new context creation attribute is needed to
let the application allocate an sRGB back buffer. The browser's
compositor would handle that differently when drawing it to the
screen. More guidance from experts in colorspace handling is needed.

We've had the discussion on explicit drawing buffer creation a while ago (in a different context). Where it partained to attaching a context to different drawing buffers, which would be quite useful. Does the canvas CR2 spec handle this case by now? Could we have an interface to explicitely create drawing buffers? It would sometimes be useful to be able to draw on different drawing buffers with different attributes (for testing and other things).