Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

If this works just fine as a _javascript_ library why add it as an extension?

As an extension what it does has to be specifically specified.
As an extension it can't be upgraded without making and proposing a new extension.
As an extension it passes all work to the browser vendors who each need to implement it

As a library it can be updated and extended whenever
As a library it only needs one implementation and everyone can use it
As a library it can do whatever it wants, no spec needed

From the discussion above it doesn't seems like it needs to be an extension. It doesn't seem like there is some specific OpenGL functionality that needs to be exposed to make it possible. It also doesn't sound like a speed issue given that the resulting shaders are up to 10x slower.

Also as a library it should be easy to patch it the same way the WebGL Inspector patches itself in or various other libraries that patch things like WebGLRenderingContext.prototype.compileShader

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Mark Callow <khronos@callow.im> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2014, at 7:19 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What's wrong with it is that it does not allow you to isolate an issue with any of your shader code buried in use somewhere in your application.

You have to find either the buried shader code or the buried call to compileShader for that shader. These efforts may or may not be much different, depending on the structure of your code. I would not object to supporting both an API toggle and a pragma, getting the best of both worlds.

Regards

    -Mark