Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

What's wrong with it is that it does not allow you to isolate an issue with any of your shader code buried in use somewhere in your application.

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014, Mark Callow <khronos@callow.im> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2014, at 6:20 AM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
>

> I think it's a bad idea to allow toggling after compilation. If you changed the setting afterwards and want it applied retroactively, we'd have to go back, re-translate, and recompile the shader. Shader recompilation is strongly out of vogue, so avoid it if possible.

I agree, no recompilation.

I think having to modify the shaders makes testing and debugging unnecessarily difficult. What’s wrong with an API toggle that applies to all *subsequent* calls to compileShader?

Regards

    -Mark