Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_texture_from_depth_video extension proposal

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> It'll only be efficient to upload depth videos to WebGL textures using
>> the internal format which avoids converting the depth values during
>> the upload process. That's why UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5 was chosen as the
>> single supported format for uploading this content to WebGL 1.0. It's
>> not desirable for either the browser implementer or the web developer
>> to support uploading depth videos to lots of random texture formats if
>> they won't be efficient. The Media Capture group should comment on
>> what formats depth cameras tend to output, and are likely to output in
>> the future.
>

> I think it's demonstratable that conversion between formats is reasonably
> efficient if it can be done on-GPU, which is something that's just about
> getting done for <video> now.
>
> The reason I'm not in favor of fixing this to ushort 5-6-5 is because it is
> quite often the case that an app developer would want something else to use.
> So for instance because you cannot interpolate 5-6-5 that's been bastardized
> to hold a single depth value, you'd then proceed to write your own
> framebuffer to decode it to say, byte, int, float or what have you.
> Likewise, 5-6-5 smells smack of an internal format, that's liable to change
> with whoever's putting out the next depth capture device, and so, latest by
> that point, you'll be converting something like say, a floating point depth
> TO 5-6-5, which would be more than a little ironic.

Understood. Ideally this extension would just target the R16UI
internal format available in ES 3.0. Supporting UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5
is a stopgap measure in WebGL 1.0. I'd like to avoid adding lots of
GPU-GPU blitting code in the browser to support conversion to other
formats in WebGL 1.0. The conversion can be done in a JavaScript
library.